Saturday 9 March 2013

If You Really Want to Touch Someone, Send Them a Letter...



Melbourne based advertising agency M&C Saatchi developed a creative concept for Australian Post in 2007, in an effort to increase the amount of letters sent through their system. Although this idea is almost six years old, I felt it appropriate to review, as tens of thousands of Irish are choosing to emigrate.


These print advertisements caught my eye for two reasons; firstly for the unusual use of typography. When I think of using typography in print advertising it is generally bold headlines, or phrases, certainly not a body made out of a page of text, or a 'body copy' if you will. The second reason it got my attention was because four of my friends are currently living in Australia, some in their second year of emigration and therefore this had an emotional impact on me, as I am sure it would for the other thousands of Irish missing family and friends who have fled the country.

The campaign effectively portrays the message; that there is literally nothing more touching than receiving a letter. However, depending on the cultural dimensions of the country this may not be effective, as many can not openly express a love for touch, but hopefully the Australian's are a 'touchy' race. After reading some critical reviews, it is clear that some audience members found the 'body copy' a little "creepy". Personally I can see where they are coming from, it is a little strange alright, but for me strange is good, strange makes you think.

Overall I like the concept, mainly as I am a fan of creative ideas that are simply clever. I feel it is a good attempt at reaching it's target market, however I think they are trying to revive a time that is well an truly past revival. Personally I love writing, and therefore I like to send and receive letters, but my friends have been away over twenty months now and a Facebook message or a Skype request is all I hold out for. Although I think it is really warming to get a letter from a loved one, I am more than likely one of very few my age who do. Writing a long message on a social media website and clicking send certainly does not create the same emotions as putting pen to paper, licking a stamp and strolling to the post box. Maybe I should start to print out the online messages I receive and put them in an envelope beside my bed, or maybe not?! Either way, in my eyes there remains no written communication more personal that a hand-written letter.



Author: Laura Smith



Image Sources: Google Images









3 comments:

  1. I think sending a letter to someone is more effective than touching them literally. as you mentioned 'it is really warming to get a letter from a loved one'.

    In my opinion, short messages on What’s App and Facebook are not really the ways of expressing feelings even these platforms using emojis and so many creative adds. But writing a letter, let you think that how to say something including feelings to someone would touch their hearts affectively.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The letter has a powerful effect to create strong relationships between two people who are apart.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like the creative concept for Australian post. It is a great attempt to reach target audience. creative agency Melbourne

    ReplyDelete